How to incorporate asset management into portfolio management in Jira?
Project management and asset management coexist. An entity big enough to run ‘projects’, certainly has plenty of assets. Assets could be really anything, like hardware, software, inventory, machinery, people, real estate, customers, contracts, brands. In that way, asset management can be defined as object management of human, physical, and non-physical objects of a company.
Benefits of combining BigPicture and STAGIL Assets in Jira
- Increased control over assets by tracking start/end dates, maintenance periods, deadlines
- Increased efficiency in project management and other departments
- Cost reduction of assets through consistent reviews
- Risk control by establishing risk management of different asset groups
- Increased support for security and disaster recovery readiness
- Improved budgeting and other strategic decision-making processes
- Transparency and overview of all assets
BigPicture is a project management app. Yet, you can perform certain asset management workflows in Jira + BigPicture:
- Very typically, you’ll record your assets as Jira issues. Consider grouping them in an ‘Assets’ project. It is your assets register. Especially with physical assets, you can print forms, such as ‘Acquisition’, ‘Rental’, or ‘Disposal’. This can be done using BigPicture (or BigGantt) + BigTemplate extension. You can customize templates – add Jira and BigPicture fields, as well as QR codes (see the first of the below screenshots).
- Now, what is asset management? It means balancing the costs, the risks, and the performance of an asset over a particular time. Note that BigPicture ensures the ‘risks’ part of the definition. Since you store your assets as Jira tickets, you can also put them on the BigPicture Risk Matrix, so that an asset constitutes a risk that you need to keep an eye on. See the second screenshot.
- People are also “assets”, right? BigPicture has the Resources module, which is all about the ‘performance’ part of the cited definition. See the video below on Resources in BigPicture. It mostly shows how to balance the capacity of your human “assets” with their allocation.
STAGIL Assets / BigPicture Risks matrix
STAGIL Assets for Jira
Gain more insight into your assets by using our dedicated asset management plugin. Our plugin lets you track and visualize dependencies between numerous assets.
But how does it look in detail? Thanks to the advanced linking functionalities, you can add new panels for your assets on the issue screens and link them to other Jira issues. Let’s illustrate this in one example: The Boston facility displays all linked building equipment. It shows that the flat roof is in status ‘malfunction’. This affects the facility’s overall health check which results in turning it from green into yellow. Fortunately, a service desk ticket has already been created and assigned. For the detailed configuration of this use case, you can check out our documentation.
All this information is available on one single issue and can be aggregated in BigPicture's and BigGantt’s Gantt charts. The screenshot shows a Gantt overview of facility maintenance services. In that way, not only facilities but all kinds of objects like contracts, services, licenses, hardware, etc. can be managed efficiently.
STAGIL Assets and project management
STAGIL Assets goes beyond conventional asset management. Namely, you can use our plugin as a project portfolio management ‘umbrella’. First, you create the ‘Portfolio’ and ‘Project’ custom Jira issue types. Then you add new tasks of those two types to Jira and link them using STAGIL Assets’ excellent linking capabilities so that you can observe your portfolio using our graph - hierarchical or mindmap-style. You can then click on work packages, which you’ll find one level below your projects, and you are transferred to BigPicture’s Gantt chart and Resources modules.
You can watch the whole showcase for the PPM workflow in our 20-minute webinar. It covers the portfolio and project levels with STAGIL Assets plugin, while the in-depth scheduling of epics, stories, and sub-tasks is done with BigPicture’s Gantt chart and Resources module.
Note, however, that BigPicture version 8 delivers sort of a ‘portfolio revolution’, namely, you can create portfolios, projects, phases, agile release trains directly in BigPicture, while BigPicture 7 has high-level ‘containers’ which are represented by programs only. The video, on the other hand, reaches a conclusion, that you don’t need to leave Jira for the portfolio and project areas of the PPM workflow. All you need is to assign the ‘portfolio’ and ‘project’ issue types to a number of Jira tasks. Just watch the video; this simple approach is pretty cool.
Other asset management tools
We need to be fair and name the big player: Insight – Asset Management by Mindville (formerly Riada). We at STAGIL, Atlassian Platinum Solution Partner, also implement asset management projects with Insight according to customer needs. What's the main difference between the two apps? The level of integration into Jira. STAGIL Assets uses the native Jira linking function and other Jira elements like projects and issues. Insight has its own interface with its own objects and fields for storing asset management data. The right tool choice depends on the complexity and requirements of your use cases. Need more information on which tool is the best choice for you? Reach out to us, we are glad to help!